National Museum of History
History of NMH
1. Motivated by professionalism and inspiring trends
2. Life-long learning and service with hearts
3. Sharing information and displaying diversity
The“National Museum of Historical Artifacts and Fine Arts” was established in a Japanese style building near the Taipei Botanical Garden in 1955. It was renamed the“National Museum of History” (hereafter, “NMH”) in 1956 and the building was renovated in a five-floor traditional Chinese Ming and Qing palace style, with four floors for exhibition and staff offices, and one floor for storage. Despite its limited space, the NMH is renowned for its international exhibitions, and its proactive and innovative museum development and educational programs. Various conversions of the building have been carried out over the years to adapt it as a modern space fit for the newest exhibition facilities and requirements.
The NMH's collection originally consisted of artifacts from the Henan Museum that were relocated to Taiwan in 1949, and of relics recovered from the Japanese after the Sino-Japanese War. The collection included the bronzes unearthed in Xinzheng, Hui and Anyang (in Henan Province), Pre-Qin pottery unearthed in Loyang, Han green-glazed pottery, the dancer and musician figurines of the Six Dynasties, Tang tri-colored pottery and other treasures. The arrival of allocated artifacts and donations from private collectors gradually enriched the Museum's collection and enlarged its archives.
The museum collections continued to grow with annual acquisitions obtained with government procurement budget allocations and donations from private collectors. The annual acquisitions provided the museum with artifacts and relics from mainland China, Taiwan, and other countries. The collections date back to the Neolithic period and the ancient Chinese dynasties Shang, Zhou, Han, Tang, Song, Yuan, Ming, and Qing, up to the contemporary era.